Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pie

I love to bake pies. This week I baked a marionberry pie. When I started baking pies many years ago I decided I would have a signature on my pies. What do you think I chose as my signature, can you tell? If I took a pie to a potluck my children would know immediately which pie was the one I baked. Do you have a signature when you bake a pie?
After making the pie what do you do with the left over pastry crust trimmed from the edges? My mother taught me to not waste the pastry crust. Roll out the leftovers, spread with a little butter, and sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar, cut in strips, place on a pie tin or cookie sheet, and bake. Sometimes this is the best treat ever in making a pie. They are like calories that you forget to count, a hidden treat, something to be savored all for yourself with a cup of tea.

2 comments:

Rosemary said...

I love you marilynberry pie with its signature - what a clever idea! I've never been a pie baker... must work on that. Oh, and BTW, you've been tagged! Visit our blog to play the game... hope you will join in!
www.therosemaryhouse.blogspot.com

Alice said...

What a great idea to use up the pie scraps. I'll be trying that on Friday. My local orchard promises that the sour cherries will be ready then and I have promised pies and puddings to many.