Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Tea with my Aunt Arlene



When I planned to retire I thought I would like to take tea to people in nursing homes or retirement communities. It was my way of paying back for the care given to my mother, as I lived too far from her to do so myself. I decided I should start with my Aunt Arlene. Recently I served my aunt tea in her retirement community apartment. My niece, Suzie, came along and we had a lovely afternoon of sharing over cups of tea and food. My aunt had recently given me her china, which I used to serve the tea. She enjoyed seeing her china and serving pieces again and reminisced about each piece and where she had found it. She was great at finding treasures at garage sales. As my aunt loved flowers I tried to incorperate them into the menu. For sandwiches we had calla lily sandwich of cream cheese and Marmalady's Orange Triple Sec Marmalade, chicken curry on croissants, and egg salad with nastursiums. Included in the menu was fresh fruit salad with many of the locally grown berries. Then for sweets we had cupcakes with lemon curd and apple oatmeal cookies. The apple oatmeal cookies were a recipe created by another aunt. In eating the cookies we had fun discussing recipes and how each of my aunts liked to cook. It was a great afternoon of sharing and enjoying each others company.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

OH, do share the calla lily sandwich recipe. It almost looks like a circle cut out of bread and then spread with cream cheese. I can't tell what the center is. A mandarin orange perhaps? I'll have to click on the photo.

I can see that you and I are on the same page right now as far as blog themes. Check out today's post. You might want to contribute something.

I love the fact that you brought tea to your aunt. She must have loved it— especially the reminiscing.

Now that I have a car of my own, again, I will need to go to the Assisted Living home where my hubby and I minister once a month. There are many there who would love this, however, once little lady is from England and she confessed last time that she misses taking tea.

Hugs, KJ

Anonymous said...

Tipping my teacup to you, your niece *and* Aunt Arlene! How very nice everything looked!

La Tea Dah said...

What a beautiful tea party -- the true and pure essence of what the art of tea is all about -- relationships! Your food is so nicely presented and pretty --- and the china so pretty! Your aunt has a look of pure delight on her face. Although I know she loved the tea party, I am sure she loved being with you best of all!

LaTeaDah

Linda Jennings said...

Marilyn, I'm sure your Aunt Arlene was delighted at being the guest of honor at this lovely tea!

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

I loved the description of this on the list, but just now saw the picture. Wonderful. :-)

Anonymous said...

I can see the family resemblance.

Annie Jeffries said...

Oh Marilyn, how delightful to see the end result of the tea you gave me a preview of during our visit. Your aunt looks happily ensconed (pun intended) with her friends, her china, and good food. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures AND the menu. LOL

Unknown said...

Aunt Arlene looks great! I'm glad you were able to do this for her.