Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas Dinner


One final Christmas note, then I will move forward with the new year.
Several of you have been curious about our family Christmas dinner tradition.
About 10 years ago my two adult children decided we needed a different Christmas dinner tradition; so they decided to take over the meal on that day. Each year they keep it a secret until we sit down at the table. The theme is different each year and is usually a menu from a different country. Some of the menus have been Ethiopian, Middle Eastern (twice), American Prairie (buffalo), Italian, Spanish Tapas, and this year the theme was an Obama Christmas. How they come up with these ideas is amazing in itself. They research online and try all new recipes each year.
*********
For the Obama Christmas this year we had:
Carrot Curry Soup from Thailand
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza
Vegetable recipe from Kenya (greens and tomatoes)
Hawaiian Fruit Salad
Maryland Crab Cakes (for Washington, DC)
Dessert representing Kansas where Obama's grandparents were from.
The dessert was cookies from a recipe I had started making when we lived in Kansas.
This represented Kansas to my two adult children.
******
An unusual Christmas dinner tradition, but fun each year and I don't have to cook on Christmas Day.

5 comments:

Rosemary said...

What a unique tradition! Thanks for sharing. The menu sounded like fun, and best of all, you didn't have to cook!
Nancy

Annie Jeffries said...

I'm so glad you shared this with us Marilyn. This has to be high on my list of most interesting Christmas traditions. I told Don about the Obama dinner post. Now I'm going to send this link to him. Great menu!!

Steph said...

Oh, I LOVE this! And this year's menu, in particular, was incredibly creative...tho they all sound great. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

How great!
We eat the same every year for our Christmas dinner, lamb ribs. I have had it all my life, for 50 years .-)

Linda Jennings said...

What a fun and "different" tradition. We eat the same Appalachian favorites every Christmas. Country ham on biscuits, sweet potato casserole, corn pudding, cheese grits, etc.