Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Daughter in Ramallah

When my daughter was in college, she and a group of college students joined together to travel to Palestine to help repair a Friends (Quaker) School and Church in Ramallah.
They worked hard.

The young women also took time to stand with the Women in Black in Jerusalem.
Do you know about the Women in Black? I had not heard of them until my daughter told me about them. They wear black (of course that is where they got the name), and stand silently to protest the occupation.
They also took some time to explore. Here they are having tea at a small shop.
********
I think of my daughter's trip to Israel and Palestine so often when I hear of the violence taking place there. I am thankful there is a cease fire for the moment. I think often of those there that were kind to my daughter and took her into their home and served her tea. Are their homes still standing? Is the Friends School and Church still there? Please pray for peace in the hearts of the people of Israel and Palestine. They must find a way to coexist in peace. I am so proud of my daughter and the time she took to get to know the people of Palestine and then to open my eyes to a different way of seeing the people of the world.

4 comments:

Steph said...

I am sending thoughts of peace to their world (and ours).

SweetAnnee said...

What a great opportunity for your daughter.. I love
learning about other cultures..it's amazing the
contrast with our country..

hugs, Deena

La Tea Dah said...

I learned of the Women in Black when I observed them silently standing along the shore at Port Townsend. There were a large group of them and it was an effective message they sent.

LaTaDah

Annie Jeffries said...

I first learned of Women in Black when I saw a group standing silently on a street corner in Fort Bragg this past summer.

What a blessing for your daughter to have experienced this trip to the Middle East. I pray that the school and church are still standing.