Monday, January 19, 2009

Grandma's Bonnets


Ruby, my husband's grandmother, wore these bonnets in the garden while she worked. They hung by her door ready and waiting to be worn. She knew the value of not getting the sun on her face and neck. They have slats in the front, so that the brim doesn't droop into her face. To me they are reminiscent of what would have been worn on the wagon trains going west. I can picture the women of old wearing these outdoors. What do you wear to keep the sun out of your face?

6 comments:

the voice of melody said...

Those are so pretty!

Laurie said...

Oh what a fantastic heirloom! You're so blessed to have something so special. I really do need to get a hat for when I am gardening!

Anonymous said...

How neat that you have those...they look in mint condition too!

I have to use strong sunscreen for myself...that Scots-Irish heritage blisters easily!

Blessin's♥

Linda Jennings said...

My granny wore bonnets. What a treasure you have!

La Tea Dah said...

I love your bonnets! They are so "Tasha Tudor" --- lovely and practical as well. You are so fortunate to have them!

LaTeaDah

paris parfait said...

Oh how WONDERFUL that you have these! Hold on tight - they're not only sentimental, but increasingly rare and special.