Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cherry Clafouti

Posted by Picasa
Having so many cherries I have been looking for new recipes. I found this recipe online, but don't remember where. It was so good and easy to make, except for pitting all the cherries. I understand it is a traditional french recipe and can be made with other fruit.
Cherry Clafouti
1 tablespoon unsalted butter at room temperature
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3 extra large eggs at room temperature
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Brandy or Kirsch
1 1/2 lbs. fresh cherries, washed and dried
Confectioner's sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10 x 1 1/2 round baking dish and sprinkle the bottom and sides with 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar. (Note: I used two pie plates for this recipe)
Beat the eggs and the 1/3 cup granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. On low speed mix in the flour, crea, vanilla extract, lemon zest, salt, and Brandy. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, pit the cherries. Arrange in a single layer, packed together, in the baking dish. Pour the batter over the cherries and bake until the top is golden brown and the custard is firm, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.
I was given one tip from a friend: Don't make the custard too deep and it will come out the best.
Enjoy!

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

Looks yummy! I've never made a clafouti, but love the word!
Nancy

parTea lady said...

Sounds wonderful and being a fan of custard, I'd like to try this recipe. I wonder if it would be good with canned or frozen cherries.

La Tea Dah said...

Great recipe! And so yummy! Do you recall the gluten-free version I posted last year? What a challenge conversions can be sometimes!

Enjoy a lovely day! I'm off for a drive to your state!

LaTeaDah

Britt-Arnhild said...

Oh My!
Is there a piece left for me??????

Mary said...

Hope you have a cherry pitter - they are so useful - can use for olives too!

I love clafoutis too - make it often when cherries are in season, also great with pears as in Ina Garten's 'Barefoot in Paris' cook book.

I e-mailed you - hope you get it!

Anonymous said...

this brings back memories of when i lived with a french family one summer during my high school years. they made a cherry clafouti but left the pits in. it was delicious but a bit of work to eat. i prefer your version without the pits. but this is a wonderful memory.