Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Family Tea


Each Easter instead of the traditional ham dinner I serve afternoon tea for my family and a few friends.
This year was no different.  I wanted the table to feel like springtime with the colors of green, yellow, and pink.  In my role as hostess, I did forget to take pictures of most of the food.

The menu for our Easter tea:

Roast beef with carmelized onions (my most requested sandwich)
Egg Salad Sandwich with violets from the garden
Asparagus Quiche
Sausage Rolls with hot mustard
Radish Sandwiches with Watercress and Goat Cheese spread
Pea Salad, recipe from Afternoon to Remember Tearoom

Cream Scones with Orange Marmalade and Cream


Rum Bundt Cake with fresh strawberries
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peeps
Dried Apricots and Almonds

Tea with the Savories was the Osmathus Oolong
and with the dessert was a black tea from The Empress.

I had so much fun planning the springtime table and used my green depression glass plates, yellow flowers and napkins, and found some very pretty pink glassware at the market for ice water with slices of lemon.
The stand in the middle of the table was found several years ago in an antique shop that specialized in garden accessories.  It is a flower pot holder that came from a greenhouse in France.  It will go in our greenhouse one day, but for now I thought it would be fun to use on the table.
I think I am going to have to find a larger venue for holding our annual tea, as it is difficult to keep the group to only 10-12 people.


I hope everyone had a lovely day no matter what you celebrate, whether it be Easter or a lovely Spring day.
Double click on the collage to see the pictures in more detail.

17 comments:

Linda Jennings said...

I look forward to seeing your Easter photos and menu every year. Everything looks beautiful, including the tablescape and the food. I love your family Easter Tea tradition. We have a Christmas Family Tea tradition, but Easter is a less hectic time. I will try to remember that for future Easter family celebrations.

Annie Jeffries said...

Seriously, Marilyn, I MUST be in Oregon one Easter and gage an invite to one of your Easter teas.

I immediately went to the tea room website hoping to find the pea salad recipe. Alas, it was not listed is the recipe list.

Jeanne said...

"Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family." ~Anthony Brandt

Such a lovely way to spend Easter
Much love and many blessings

La Tea Dah said...

Absolutely stunning! It sounds delicious! And my husband has a new 'item' on his to-do list --- a plant stand just like yours! I love it!

Joyfully
LaTeaDah

Steph said...

What an ABSOLUTE joy! How wonderful.

beth said...

wow....these photos should be in a food magazine....or mabye a decorating one...or maybe we should call you martha !

PeggyR said...

Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun. I'm coming to your house next year!

Angela McRae said...

What a simply stunning tea! I would not have thought of hosting a tea on Easter, but now that I think about it that's really a great idea -- lots of people are free by afternoon, and those who didn't have an event to attend would probably enjoy having one. Your spread is just beautiful and sounds so delicious. (And very inspiring! I'm having a tea this Sunday myself!) Oh, and of course I love the Peeps!

Rosemary said...

What a delightful menu! It is quite obvious you took joy in planning and preparing such a very special tea. Such lucky guests! Thanks for sharing Marilyn. Happy Easter to you and your family!
Nancy

Time Traveling in Costume said...

What a great idea, having an afternoon tea! If only I could talk our guys into it. :)
Val

Tracy said...

Such a splendid tea, Marilyn! I love the idea of a tea party rather than the "usual" or very traditional style Easter menus... Since I'm far from my immediate family, most Easters are spent with hubby' family--not one a tea-drinker, I'm the only one! LOL! But maybe a coffee/tea party would work... ;o) Happy Week ((HUGS))

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

What a celebration, this is a springtime feast at it's best! And how wonderful to have a tea, perfect menu, perfect time.

Glad you had such a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

The sausage rolls were a yummy new addition. Thank you for another perfect Easter Tea.

And I couldn't help but thinking just how delightful our family friends are. Great food! Great Company!

parTea lady said...

Your Easter Family Tea looks lovely. What a great menu and tablescape.

Dutchbaby said...

This is all looks so perfectly inviting and delicious, I can hardly get over this. Every detail so beautifully executed - the radish slices, the pansies firmly planted six inches above the table, the peeps cupcakes, the hand-dyed eggs, etc. etc. etc.

Brava, Marilyn!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Oh, what a wonderful idea! I've never thought about having an Easter Tea! I really enjoyed hearing the details, and the food sounds delicious! I've never had a radish sandwich, I must try that one! My husband would love the beef and carmelized onions! Thanks so much for sharing your pictures with us! The unique centerpiece is really neat too!

Katherine

Katherine

Donna and Miss Spenser said...

Simply lovely...should be in a magazine!! Love the cupcakes...I hope I can find some discounted peeps this week...I have a Girl Scout Event on Sunday; I think they'd enjoy that! Thanks for the tip.

Donna (IA)