Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lemon sort of Mood


With very little sunshine, as the winter moves along I begin to crave citrus.
Do you do that too?
I just love Meyer lemons and Costco had a good price for a basket of them recently.
We have had lemon meringue pies, lemon salad dressing, and lemon cupcakes with lemon curd.
There is always a box of Duncan Hines Lemon Cake in my cupboard for am impromptu, quick cake.

Here is the recipe from the Lemon Cookbook:


1 box Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix
One 3-1/2 ounce box jello instant lemon pudding
1/2 cup lemon juice
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2/3 cups canola oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Prepare the cake:  In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the cake mixture and instant pudding and set aside.
In a measuring cup, add the lemon juice and enough cold water to make 2/3 cup.  Add the eggs, lemon water, and lemon extract to the dry ingredients and combine.  Pour in the oil, and beat at medium speed for 6 minutes or until smooth.
Lightly oil a Bundt pan, pour in the mixture, and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and the cake is springy to the touch.  While the cake is baking, prepare the glaze.
Glaze:
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar

This is the recipe I used for the cupcakes, along with lemon curd. Then I left off the glaze.

If you are crave citrus, enjoy something with lemons.
I have even squeezed some into my water to drink.
Just lov'n it.

8 comments:

Steph said...

I do love citrus in the winter!! Such a pretty yellow cupcake. And how cool that you had crepes, too!

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Marilyn. What a timely post. A friend of mine just won a gift basket at a silent auction and included in the basket was a lemon cake mix. She loves to cook and bake so I sent your link to her. If I get feedback, I'll let you know.

Gigi Thibodeau said...

Yum! I do crave lemons in the winter, too, so this recipe is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing it, Marilyn! xo Gigi

Jeanne said...

Thanks for this recipe I love things with Lemon
Love and hugs
Jeanne

Angela McRae said...

It's a gray and rainy day here, so just looking at and thinking about lemons makes me feel sunnier!

PeggyR said...

Oh this sounds really good. It's a very grey day here. Snow is melting a bit thought.

Anonymous said...

I crave citrus in the winter also--and LOVE lemons! Lemon cupcakes sound really, really good! Ty for sharing:)
Blessings,
Aimee

Jeanie said...

I am a total citrus freak and lemons are my favorite -- rather have lemon than chocolate! So, I'm printing this baby out now!