Friday, April 1, 2011

Far From the Maddening Crowds

Though I cannot flee
From the world of corruption,
I can prepare tea
With water from a mountain stream
And put my heart to rest.
~Ueda Akinara

Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world.
~T'ien Yiheng

A place to escape to when one cannot ease one's
cares in the mountains.
The hut beneath the pine within the city.
~Toyohara Sumiaki, quoted by Murai Yasuhiko

This picture was taken in January as I sat outside in Portland, Oregon,
sharing tea with friends.  I couldn't even sit out there today
with the wet and the cold.  It was one of those rare days of winter.
A true gift and time "to forget the din of the world."

7 comments:

Traveling Bells said...

It is too chilly here in nawth GA to enjoy being outside. Bummer...

krys kirkpatrick said...

Back from Maui...to rain.rain.rain. Oh well...at least there is light. Isn't it funny how sunshine makes everything better?

Steph said...

We did a loooong run today - sun, clouds, rain, sun, jacket on, off, on, off. ;-) Very dramatic skies here!

Lovely photo - I missed being there!

Anonymous said...

I like the quotes that you chose. My new favorite quote is:

It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us, as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts.

~ K.T. Jong

Jeanie said...

Wet and cold here, too. How sad -- I keep telling myself, "It's spring. Act like it!"

Tracy said...

That tray set for tea is so happy & inviting, Marilyn! It has been foggy & mizzly here all weekend. We wonder if spring is bypassing Norway this year... LOL! Happy new week ((HUGS))

parTea lady said...

Nice quotes and photo. I like those pretty tea cups.