Monday, June 20, 2011

Faces and Food of Alishan High Mountain


The beautiful faces of the farmer's children greeted us early in our visit to Alishan High Mountain.
The first evening the children and their father took us for a walk in the dark where we were
delighted to find fireflies lighting up the dark night.  Some in our group had never seen
a firefly and thrilled with the new experience.
My traveling teacup also enjoyed a visit to the fields of tea.
The farmer's mother-in-law cooked most of our vegetarian meals.
Though I am not a vegetarian several things on the menu intrigued me.
Up in the right hand corner was breakfast the last day.  Those buns were huge.
The yellow filling was just more bread in a different color
and the other buns had what I think was a bean curd filling.
On the top right is a very old pot where tea is stored for aging.
The surprise treat beside having tea served to us by the mother-in-law and the farmer's baby
was in the bottom center.  It was fresh tea leaves dipped in a tempura batter and fried.
It was very good and quite sweet.  This was served to us a couple of time throughout our travels
in Taiwan.  In the little dish is a mixture of salt, white pepper, and powdered wasabi to sprinkle
on the tea.  Very good!  This is something I will try here at home from my tea plants growing in
my yard.

9 comments:

Steph said...

I'm salivating!

Jeanie said...

Love wasabi! I don't think I knew you grew tea plants!

All that wonderful red! Great combo of photos!

Tracy said...

How sweet are those childrens' face...aaawww... Tea leaf tempura! I think I would like that... and especially dipped in wasabi...mmm... I'd not know of this way using tea leaves--amazing! :o) Happy Day, Marilyn ((HUGS))

Jeanne said...

Gorgeous my lovely friend
I hope you are feeling well.
Love Jeanne♥

Relyn Lawson said...

The faces! Oh those little, smiling faces are making me happy.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

That was the trip of a life time, Marilyn. I am enjoying your posts very much.

Angela McRae said...

Fried tea leaves sounds like something you would find at a festival here in the South, ha! By the way, I love all these beautiful faces you are sharing here. Precious images!

somepinkflowers said...

ohohhhh....

~~~a very old pot
where tea is stored
for aging~~~

this photo
plum
steals my heart!

:-)

Mary said...

You actually are growing your own tea - how fabulous! Are you able to process it and use it?

Lovely smiling faces and of course the vegetarian offerings would be right up my alley!!!