Friday, July 8, 2011

A Child in a Garden


A Child in a Garden
by Ethel Romig Fuller

Once I had just half an hour
To frolic by myself;
Presto! By a lilac bush
I changed into an elf.

I whispered to a ladybird,
"I really am a child!"
But the disbelieving thing
Shrugged its wings and smiled.

A dusty bumblebee and I
Robbed the honey crocks
Of the Canterbury bells
And the hollyhocks.

And beneath a pansy plant-
A place no grown-up knows-
I pirouetted with an ant
On my elfin toes.

Then down the spice-pink bordered path
Mother came for me;
The elf became a little girl
Ready for her tea.


Now wouldn't you just love to be this little girl and
frolic in the garden?

Photos taken at Washington Park Rose Gardens
yesterday morning.  I was trying to find the roses most
closely in color to purples.  A very fascinating search.

11 comments:

Trixie and Dustin of TheTeaDrinker.com said...

PDX is called the City of Roses for a very good reason...! Beautiful, MM. xo

Sharon67 said...

I love your pictures of purple roses! This year I found a Weeks rose called Honey Dijon and fell in love with the color which comes out a yellow but then changes to a Dijon mustard caramel color. so now I'm on the hunt for caramel colored flowers for a small new part of our backyard garden. What a fun adventure!

krys kirkpatrick said...

Marilyn I love the collage of pictures. Beautiful, beautiful roses. And it looks like you had a lovely day to take pictures. The poem is also delightful. Have a great weekend.

Jeanne said...

A gorgeous poem
I love you
Jeanne

parTea lady said...

What a lovely poem and the rose photo collage is beautiful.

La Tea Dah said...

I love your purple-ish roses selection. They are beautiful. I find that lavender/purple roses are some of the most difficult to grow beautifully. I have two true lavender rose plants --- and as long as the wind doesn't blow (they bruise) they are pretty.

I love your new header --- very calming and relaxing. A true delight!

Jeanie said...

Marilyn, these are stunning! I love roses -- these really are the best!

somepinkflowers said...

Presto!

i want to B that girl
for only one afternoon

then Tea!


:-)


{{ you did so good
in finding purple, missy!

lovely
lovely
purple
BUT


still

i fancy somepinkflowers }}

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

What a lovely post, Marilyn. The Rose Garden is spectacular this time of year. Great photos of those roses.

Tracy said...

Soooo LOVELY--verse and roses! The shades of purple at breathtaking! I've often wanted one of those light lavender-tinted roses that are scented...mmm... Happy week, Marilyn! Oh, I am actually launching a new blog today, with new creative focus--I'm very excited about it. In a few weeks I'll be closing Pink Purl. Thanks for visiting me there. :o) ((HUGS))

Angela McRae said...

Marvelous! The photos, the poem -- love it!