Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Trust and that Pink Nose


What is it about pink noses that touches my heart?
This sweet cow just looked at me and my heart melted.
Yesterday I read the blog emma tree here.
She was talking about trust.
Her story of living in a small community reminded me of a time
so long ago of another small community in the midwest.
Living in Kansas was like her story.
Often doors were not locked on homes and cars.
I took my gallon jars to the dairy and bought milk
that came directly from the cow to a refrigerated vat.
I turned on the spigot and filled my jars,
left my money in a jar, and wrote in the book how much I took and my name.
I would make our butter from the cream and we drank whole milk
daily.  Oh was it good.
Thank you dear cows for the milk you so generously share with us.
Do you live in a community that still has trust?

Picture taken on a country road somewhere in the south of France.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh Marilyn I remember those days, we never locked the doors, the neighbors trusted each other, and unlike now a days, all the neighbors knew each other. We lived without fear of robberies, b and e's, and violence. It's all so different now, and where I live in the country, we must now keep our doors locked as we have had so many break ins in our township. What a sad sign of the times, I wish we could go back to the simpler days!

La Tea Dah said...

Yes, our community still has trust. A local sweet onion farmer has a "stand" where he sells 25# and 50# sacks of WW Sweets. He has a sign that gives the price, and a drop box to put the money. It is often unmanned and on the honor system. It is generously filled with large bags of onions.

I love the cow picture. Bessie looks very friendly and sweet. I like the upturn of her nose.

I hope today was a good day...

Caroline said...

I remember those days too. I could walk alone to the bus stop and not worry, and we never locked our doors. I miss those days.

Trixie and Dustin of TheTeaDrinker.com said...

I am lucky to live in a neighborhood in which most households know and like each other, we get together often just for fun (and food!), and we look out for each other. I count myself lucky every single day here... Beautiful cow (and she looks ready to give you some of that fresh, gorgeous whole milk!). Thank you for your story :-)
Trixie

rhinoplasty Philippines said...

I wish that I can also have a a neighbor which most households know and we will also like each other. Will certainly visit your site more often now.

aljur