Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cranberry Bread Thoughts


When you are short on cash and payday is several days away, what do you do?  How do you make it less stressful and more joyful?  Maybe no one else here has days like this, but I do.  I was thinking about it and realized there are two things I do, one is bake goodies to have available for the freezer or on the table and go outside for a walk or if there is gas in the car to the country I go.

 Today I am making Cranberry Bread, a family favorite.  Starting to think of autumn just around the corner, cranberries sounded so good.  Small loaves are in the oven, so that some will go in the freezer for the next time I need a little something special and I am planning a picnic in the country soon.

Cranberry Bread
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon  baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
3/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups light raisins (I use dark)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped (I use whole)

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl.   Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice all at once; stir just until mixture is evenly moist.  Fold in raisins and cranberries.
Spoon into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan (I use smaller ones and cook shorter time).  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.

This recipe was shared with my daughter by her first grade teacher many years ago.  Jill came home from school and was so excited to bake Cranberry Bread.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Angela McRae said...

How funny ... I got up this very morning noticing the nip in the air and started thinking of cranberry tea, so your Cranberry Bread would be the perfect accompaniment!

beth said...

i think my baking, the little bit that i do, will start soon. the weather is just nippy enough to put me in the "kitchen" mood :)

Jeanie said...

This looks fabulous -- love cranberries and it will be just perfect for the autumn season and holidays! Thanks for sharing it!

Tracy said...

Oh, so good... I love cranberries, anything cranberries in! Thank you for sharing a love recipe, Marilyn. This seems a great treat to make with autumn in the air here...I'm adding the ingredients to my shopping list. :o) Happy Days ((HUGS))

somepinkflowers said...

B right over, missy!

B
right
over...


:-)

PeggyR said...

That sounds wonderful. Weather is cooling down here, so I hope to bake for the wing that Norm is in.

Relyn Lawson said...

YUM!!!!