Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Woman of Passion

This is not a passion flower, but the color is warm and feels passionate.
When I share this year about PASSION, the colors will be warm.

Recently when PASSION tapped me on the shoulder
there was an article in our local paper, The Oregonian.
They shared a story about Gertrude Rempter.
Now I didn't know Gertrude, who recently died at 99 years.
What struck me in reading about her life was her PASSION
for a career in physics and microscopy.
She worked until weeks before her death in a lab at
Portland State University.  "Her work on electron microscopes
aided the development of military night vision goggles and her advice
was coveted among industry professionals from Tektronix and other tech companies."
Her son stated, "She wasn't a (militant) feminist; she just quietly went ahead and
did what she knew she or any woman should be able to do."
She also raised five children, had horses and chickens on an eight-acre farm, baked pies,
and made jam.  What an amazing, passionate woman.

When I am 99 years, I would love to be remembered as a woman of PASSION,
who "did what she knew she or any woman should be able to do."

***********
My friend krys has a lovely give away going on.
Visit http://kryskirkpatrickdesign.blogspot.com/ to check it out.
Krys is also a woman of PASSION.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Thanks for the inspirational story about a woman of true passion. My word for 2012 is inspiration. She would serve equally well as an example of that word.

Craig Weakley said...

Hi, Marilyn. PASSION - what a great word for 2012! Love the photo from 12/30 ("passion" on red dish). Craig

Steph said...

Yes, that would be a lovely tribute!

Laurie said...

Wonderful tribute, Marilyn. I'm sure you too will be remembered as a person of passion. Though I don't want to think about that! In many years from now though,

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Wonderful word choice for the year, Marilyn. Imagine - 99 years old. Gertrude has an amazing life. She is an example for all of us.

Mary said...

I love to red of women like this - those who not only made huge inroads into science to better the world, but also managed to raise families and do the mundane. What special people they were/are - perhaps they were given an extra 'passion gene' !!!!!!

Hugs - Mary

Angela McRae said...

Oh, what a great word for 2012! I look forward to reading about your adventures!

Jeanie said...

Somehow, I think you will indeed be remembered as a woman of passion -- I know I'll think of you that way!

Adrienne said...

What a wonderful example of a woman who quietly follower her PASSION! I can't wait to hear where your path takes you this year, my friend.
~Adrienne~