Thursday, March 15, 2012

Tea Outdoors and Birthday Tea


As I sit here enjoying my first pot of birthday tea this morning I am remembering that
recently on a sunny Sunday afternoon our Portland Wuwo Tea Ceremony group was able to enjoy tea outdoors.
 It seems that once each winter we catch a day such as this and it is pure JOY to share tea together in the sunshine.
 Oh how I wish the sun was shining this morning.
When we begin, part of the ceremony is just setting our teasets out to prepare for our time of tea together
 and admiring each setting members have brought to the day.
On the right you will see Steph of Steph's Cup of Tea.
She has set her place in the traditional manner on the ground.
For some that is difficult and a stool and tray is placed for their pleasure.
The rules are not strict, but sharing tea equally among us is the purpose of the ceremony.

There is structure to this ceremony, but there is also room for small changes.
The important thing is to enjoy tea in the out of doors and to share equally among each one there.
In my cup today is Baozhong Oolong, but my family calls it birthday tea because
it was picked on my children's birthday, May 1st.
I had to enjoy it today because it is my special day.
Do you have a go to tea for celebrating a special event?

12 comments:

YourTeaLife said...

Happy Birthday! Wishing you a glorious day!
Pat

Steph said...

Sending you LOVE today, Marilyn. Happy Birthday wishes! (And I'll send this post to my Mom and Sister. They will love it!)

amherstrose said...

Wishing you a day that is filled with PASSION and fun and cups of tea with friends.

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!

Looking good, Steph. Can't wait to share Wuwo with both of you.

Rosemary said...

Happy Birthday, Marilyn!! Loved the pictures and explanations. May your day be blessed with friends and tea!

S. Etole said...

Hope your birthday has been filled with blessing.

Laurie said...

Have a wonderful birthday Marilyn! Love this tea ceremony, wish I had someone to share this with!

Mary said...

Belated happy birthday dear Marilyn - hope the entire day was wonderful for you dear.

Tracy said...

HAPPY DAY, belated, Marilyn! What a wonderful way to celebrate your day--with a tea ceremony! I love the ritual of tea and how each tea time, even just preparing a mug of tea can be a ritual. I've always wanted to sit in on a Japanese tea ceremony. In my cup this morning is Gunpowder green--very refreshing & lifting for a morning brew. :o) Happy Weekend ((HUGS))

Jeanie said...

Happy Birthday -- and I have to say that if I needed to be sitting on my knees on the ground, I would be in such discomfort! How graceful and lovely it looks!

relevanttealeaf said...

Adding my birthday wishes. May the year ahead hold much joy and many blessings... and lots of tea-filled experiences!

The Tea Enthusiast's Scrapbook said...

Happy Belated Birthday Marilyn!

What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday. I love the whole idea of the Portland Wuwo Tea Ceremony.

Thanks for sharing a little of your birthday festivities!

Blessings, Darlene

Angela McRae said...

Oh, I'm late but Happy, Happy Birthday dear Marilyn! I hope it was wonderful!