Friday, June 1, 2012

Final Images from Kansas

 
So many images of our visit sit in my mind.
Among the images are of the little red schoolhouse, which sat across the
road from where we once lived.
Towns that are becoming deserted with empty building sitting there.
Grain elevators sitting in the middle of town.
Old limestone buildings.
Old farm implements just sitting there deteriorating.
And the small town of Nicodemus where the first settlement of blacks settled west of the
Mississippi River many years ago and now only has about 9 residence.
Farewell Kansas!

Next week there will be a few peeks of Colorado before the return home.
Happy weekend to you all.
Get out and enjoy the sunshine and the sights.
There is beauty all around you.

9 comments:

Adrienne said...

Oh, you made me smile this morning, my friend! Glimpses of Kansas brought recent memories back to mind - and the dear one we love who live there and gave so much of their lives to share the beauty of Kansas with us. I'll be sharing some of Kansas on my blog soon.
~Adrienne~

Rosemary said...

When we drove thru Kansas back in the '60's, all I remember are the fields and fields of cheerful sunflowers... as far as the eye can see... flat land and golden flowers.

Steph said...

Ah, this looks like "home" to me!

Mary said...

Good old American scenery is hard to beat isn't it? So varied and stunning no matter where in the states we travel from sea to shining sea! You've seen such a lot this trip Marilyn - makes Bob and I want more time to do some road trips - we'll be planning them and hopefully coming back your way, after this busy year in the world!

Thanks for all you share - loved seeing everything through your camera.

Happy weekend - hugs Mary

Jeanne said...

Much love and many blessings
Love Jeanne

Karen's Place said...

what a nice look back at Kansas...these scenes are close to what I remember about the Midwest country side.

Tracy said...

What a treat to see all this midwest beauty, Marilyn! I've not really traveled much in that part of the country--must remedy that! ;o) And speaking of travels, we're just back from ours. WOW... so much fun! Lovely to catch up here with you. And your blue teapot in your previous post is such a lovely shade of forget-me-not blue...*sigh... ((HUGS))

amherstrose said...

What an amazing journey you had, Marilyn. I am sure you are still trying to put it all into perspective.
I am honored that you made us a stop along the way.
I hope you can visit again someday. There will always be a special place for you and Jim at our tea table.

Mary Jane

Angela McRae said...

Friends of mine have just moved to Kansas, so I particularly enjoyed these photos!