Friday, July 5, 2013

Self Care, A Bit Longer than Usual

 
For a very long time I didn't know what it meant to have "self care".
Then I was slapped in the face with life.
My breathe was taken away and I gasped, I felt like I was going under the surface and not coming back.

Often I come across blogs with young women as writers.
They are having seminars and retreats for women on "self care".
I would love to be part of their seminars and retreats and just play for awhile with them.

They are certainly alot more aware than I was at a younger age.
I guess I am a slow learner, but having the breathe sucked from my soul
I LEARNED.

1. I grabbed every self help book I could find, hanging out for hours at the bookstore.
I knew which bookstores had comfy chairs.
2. I devoured everything I could get my hands on.
3. I had an open heart to search for the answers.
4. I wrote in a journal regularly.
5.  I talked to a close friend or two.
6. I found a group that could support me in sharing my story.
7.  I prayed.
8. And I learned to delight in the small things of life.

Finally, I came out on the other side and could breathe again.
I don't teach seminars or lead retreats, I guess those are for the young;
but I often ask you questions in my blog posts.
Questions I hope you take to heart and think on.
You might think my blog is just to feel good and I hope it does that for you;
but there is so much more I want you to think on for yourself.
Then take to your heart and delight in each day.

What is delighting you today?
What is helping you breathe? 

For me just remembering walking on this beach just a few days ago delights me.
The waters now soothe me, replenish me.
I no longer feel like I am sinking below the surface.
I have become a stronger woman.

I wish for each of you strength for each day, 
delight, and an opportunity to dance in the sunshine or the rain.
Happy weekend, dear friends!

15 comments:

Laurie said...

What an awesome post Marilyn, I know what you're talking about. I am still learning, and have such a long way to go. Right now, prayer and meditation, nature and my love of the outdoors keep me grounded. this morning we had a gentle rain, and I went for my morning walk just loving the drops on my skin. I couldn't sit on my swing, so I just walked around enjoying the flowers, the birds, and the scent in the air. This is where I find myself. Outside, and in my spirit.

Anonymous said...

I've been there. Several times. Deep breathing helps. I try to find the good, hidden with the bad, and go from there. Life has thrown me some mighty curves! But somehow, I come out for the better.

markwwoodlief said...

Essential questions, Marilyn, and a terrific post. I am recalling a man, Steve Blumberg, who rented a room in my parents' house when I was a teenager. One day we were chatting, and he encouraged me, "Be a student." Since I was in high school, I wasn't appreciating the richness of his advice. "I AM a student," I said. But he was saying so much more: Be curious. Ask questions. Follow where your heart leads. Be open. Inhale. Exhale.

Adrienne said...

I appreciate your thoughts. I'm constantly learning 'self care'. It's new and changes constantly for me because I'm so quick to take care of everyone else first instead of me. I'm learning every day to breathe and delight and relax a bit. Yesterday was a very busy day at our house - TWO barbecues with different parts of our family. This morning I stayed in my robe much longer than usual and I said 'no' to something good. Someone else was able to pick up the slack and I'm OK with that! Thank you, my friend, for the reminder. I needed it!
~Adrienne~

Gigi Thibodeau said...

A wonderful and important post, Marilyn. For me, taking long walks in nature or working in my garden are the most grounding things I do on a regular basis. And strength grows from this time, too, as I'm able to reflect on what matters to me, what I value. xo Gigi

Linda Jennings said...

Thank you, Marilyn!! Self-care is what my doctor said I did when I made the decision to go gluten free. Today I did self-care when had to take the position to set limits on a needy young mother who has been draining me of all my emotional energy.

Lorrie said...

I've been there, too, Marilyn. Just now I'm going through a mildly difficult time. The end will come, but meanwhile, I savor times alone, write in my journal, go for walks, visit with friends and talk to my husband.
Today, what's delighting me is giggles from my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, the quiet ticking of clocks while she naps, and reading blogs. Thanks for this.

S. Etole said...

Due to the major physical constraints in my life, any time that I can spend in the out of doors is a huge blessing to me. That, and time with my family are two of my favorite pastimes.

beth said...

thanks marilyn for this beautiful piece....i needed it today !!!!

the perfect breeze is what i am so grateful for today {and the make out session we had during the car wash} and as far as breathing.....i should have done more of it earlier before i spoke some words which wouldn't have come out quite so harshly if i had......

xo

Jeanne said...

Beautiful my lovely friend.
Blessings of love and peace and joy.

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness."

David Weatherford ♥

Joy said...

I can see that spending time t this beach would be good for the soul! Today my delight is my daughter and granddaughter coming for a visit. Seeing life through. Child's eyes is delightful!

Kathy Walker said...

Your timing is perfect. Self care is something that I tend to neglect....it is only when I am standing on the shore, savoring the breeze, watching the waves and listening to them crash that I realize that I am refreshed. The sound of water always "centers" me. It is time for me to walk along the river or visit the sea.

Jeanie said...

Marilyn, how very astute you are -- and I love how you reminded us that the questions you ask aren't simply rhetorical but have purpose. I know that I, for one, do have them come back to my mind and at odd times. I think you COULD have led those retreats. But sometimes, quite often, the best retreat is within ourselves.

Rosemary said...

May you also find strength and enjoyment with each day and seize the opportunities presented toyou!

Angela McRae said...

Much wisdom here! I believe that when we're younger, we spend far too much time on what we "ought" to become, measuring up to someone else's ideal. I care so much less about that today -- and wish that could have been shared with my younger self!