Thursday, March 10, 2016

One of my All Time Favorites

I can't believe I haven't shared this favorite cake recipe with you.
In fact, for awhile I hadn't made it.
My oven wasn't working well and of course I keep telling myself I don't need to bake.
But let me tell you, when I couldn't bake I missed it alot.
This morning I am having one of my all time favorites, Applesauce Spice Cake.
The recipe comes from an old posting from Better, Homes, and Gardens.

Applesauce Spice Cake

2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour 
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice 
1 1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Blend in mixer bowl, sifting together flour, sugar, salt,
baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
Add applesauce, shortening, and water; beat 2 minutes.
Add eggs; beat 2 minutes more.
Stir in raisins and walnuts.
Pour batter into 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes
or until toothpick comes out clean.

When cooled ice top with the following:
2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons cream or milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Combine all ingredients, spread on cake.
Optional, sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
The icing recipe is from an old cookbook, Blue Ribbon Recipes,
County Fair Winners

The tea is a wonderful Darjeeling.
The cup is violets and daisies, Haviland Limoges, from my
grandfather's china.
The teapot is from Mariage Freres in Paris.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Rosemary said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for sharing about the teacup and teapot - I was wondering... until I got the end of your post!

Donna and Miss Spenser said...

Such a beautiful cake. Wish we could take tea together...talk, eat and sip tea., special teacup!

Mary said...

I will make this delicious cake after I've cooked up a new batch of applesauce!
Lovely weather means perhaps teatime in the gazebo soon - wish you were here!

Mary

Tracy said...

Oooo... this cake sounds wonderful, Marilyn! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I like a loaf cake, and a frosted one too. ;) That violet cup is sooo lovely... I used to collect a few china bits with violet--sweet spring flowers. Happy Days ((HUGS))

Angela McRae said...

Mmm ... this cake does sound yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Jeanie said...

Looks delish! I'd like to imagine myself having tea and cake with you! Maybe just cake will have to do! It's beautiful today but windy as all get out. Maybe a good day to bake something!